Friday, October 15, 2010

Energy $avings + Cold Xhurches



I'm thinking about energy savings and efficiency a lot lately. The xhurch is getting cold. But I'm just talking like 55 degrees-cold and it already feels coooold. I'm trying to imagine 40's or god-forbid, 30-anything. So I'm looking at heating it, but I gotta find a way to do it affordably. Weather-stripping and frugal usage I think will be the key. At a minimum, I'll have to heat the place enough to keep the pipes from freezing, but I also have to work, and you can't type very well in Bugaboos.

I guess the point is, that I'd kinda planned on roughing it this winter. Wearing a parka and sleeping with a scarf tied around my head, where dreams of sweet Spring would surely be dancing. Well, it's October, and while I haven't said uncle just yet, I can anticipate saying it real soon. So I called NW Natural, and they gave me a good tip. Ceiling fans. Do I have them? they asked. Why, yes. Yes I do. This will help keep the warm air from simply rising and collecting in the 3,200 cubic feet of vaulted ceiling space, 9 feet above where it's of any use to me. And so, while turning on the fans seems like a counter-intuitive thing to do in the winter time, this just may help keep me a little warmer on a budget.

1 comment:

xjustinx said...

Matt,
I'm not trying to derail the focus of your blog here, which is an interesting read by the way, but I've been wanting to get in touch with you about something. Can you please shoot me an email? sitner.justin[at]gmail.com